This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Everyone has goals that they want to achieve, but sadly, a lot of those goals never become anything more than ideas. I’ve found through my own experience that the reason so many goals aren’t achieved is simply due to lack of action. You can talk about how much you want something to happen, whether it’s getting promoted in your career or saving up enough money to put a down payment on a new car or finally getting your house organized and decluttered, but if you don’t do something to make those goals happen, they’re just going to sit around in the back of your mind collecting dust forever. If you aren’t achieving your goals, maybe you just need a visual of them to keep you motivated to make them happen, which brings us to my first tip.
- Make a List. Writing down your goals will allow you to come face-to-face with them; you’re actually seeing them with your eyes instead of just your mind. When you write them down, they come out in the open instead of staying in the secretive spaces of your mind.
I write my goals down in a planner. It’s nothing fancy, just a cheap planner from Walmart. I write down ALL my goals in one column – short term goals, long term goals, and lifetime goals. Just jot them all down so you can see all of them right in front of you.
- Categorize Your Goals. Now that you have all your goals written down, the next thing you want to do is separate them into categories, such as short term, long term, and lifetime. You are not only limited to these categories. You could break them down even further, such as daily goals, weekly goals, monthly goals, yearly goals, etc. However you want to do it is fine; the point is to just get them categorized so that you can see them clearly and at a quick glance.
Pick the category you’re going to start with and write the name of that category down at the top of the paper. Then list underneath that all the goals that fit into that category. Then repeat this process with each category you are going to do.
- List the Steps You Need to Take. Depending on how many goals you have for yourself, you may get overwhelmed looking at the lists you just made and have no idea where or how to start making these goals happen. That’s okay. You’re going to make it easier on yourself by writing down what you need to do to make each goal happen. If you have room on the paper you made your lists on, you can do this on there. If not, then turn the page and complete this next step on a fresh sheet of paper. Start with a short term or daily goal, something that you will be able to achieve pretty quickly.
For example, one of my goals at this very second is to finish this blog post (seriously, I’ve been interrupted by kids numerous times already. However, in order to make the interruptions stop, I would have to meet one of my longer term goals, which is to buy a house with ROOM! I want a house with enough space that I can have an office all to myself! I’m working on that one. It’s going to take a bit more work to make happen!)
For real now, a short term goal I have right now is to get the traffic to my blog up to at least 350 page views per day. Right now, since my blog is so new and I’ve just started really being active with it this month, I am getting not quite 100 page views per day, so that’s a pretty attainable goal as long as I keep creating content for my blog and use social media to my advantage to attract visitors. Word of mouth is always nice too (hint, hint. Share my posts! I will be forever grateful!). So on my paper, my goal and the steps would look like this:
Short Term Goal
Attain 350 page views a day on my blog –
- Continue consistently creating content
- Promote content/blog on social media
- Engage with followers on blog and social media
Now that I have my goal and the steps I need to take to reach that goal written down, it will be easier for me to make it happen because I know exactly what I need to do and it’s laid out right in front of me as a reminder. And if you think of something else later that will help you reach your goal, you can add it to your list at any time.
- Take Action – Now comes the part so many people fail to do to make their goals happen. You have to TAKE ACTION! Go through the list of steps you wrote down and start doing them! I promise you, if you are consistent with taking action, you WILL achieve your goals! Don’t make excuses. Don’t put it off. Don’t give up if you don’t see progress right away. Some things take time. BUT if you are doing all the things you need to be doing to make that goal happen, it WILL happen!
- Rinse and Repeat! – Continue following these tips I’ve given you for each one of your goals. Start with the smaller, easier to attain goals because when you see those smaller, easier ones starting to happen, it will give you the motivation to continue with the bigger, harder to attain goals. Good luck!
If you liked this post, please share it on your favorite social media accounts using the buttons below this post! And also, leave me a comment and let me know what goals you are trying to achieve. I’d love to hear about them!